Welfare & Attendance

Student welfare is managed through our Pastoral System. Each student has a Form Tutor who acts as the first point of contact in issues relating to student wellbeing. Tutors are supported by the Heads of Year and Heads of Key Stage who take full responsibility for students in their care. A wide range of agencies will be used to provide support and guidance in a variety of student welfare issues. The Learning and Inclusion Department will offer mentoring, counselling, literacy & numeracy support as well as a range of personalised programmes.

There are several trained First Aiders who are on-call for care and advice. The District School Nurse will ensure that all vaccination programmes are met and communicated as well as providing advice to our staff and students.

Safeguarding policies and practices comply with all national requirements with Mrs Hillary Lloyd as the named Designated Safeguarding Officer.

Back to the top


Parents are expected to comply with all national regulations regarding student attendance and punctuality.

  • Punctuality
    Students must ensure they are in their form room no later than 8.00am. Students will be marked in ‘late’ if they arrive after 8.00am. If students arrive late for school, they must make sure that they report directly to the school Reception in order to be signed in late - they must not go straight to form time, assembly or a lesson. Students will automatically receive a 30-minute same-day detention if they arrive late to school (after 8.00am).
  • Daily Absence Reporting:
    If your child is going to be absent from school due to illness, you must email [email protected] or leave a message on the attendance line on each day of absence. It is not necessary to speak to member of staff. If your child is absent from school for 5 or more days, a doctor’s medical note will be required.
  • Medical Appointments:
    If you know in advance that your child is going to be out of school for a medical appointment, you must email [email protected] or send a letter to the school office with the reason and details before the appointment takes place. For your child’s safety, they will not be allowed to leave school without a written note being sent directly to the school office. It is your child's responsibility to report to Reception at the correct time in order to be signed out as reception staff are not able to collect students from class.
  • Absence requests:
    All requests for leave of absence must be made to the school by completing a leave of absence form, which can be found here. The school is not allowed to grant leave of absence unless under exceptional and documented circumstances. Leave of absence for holidays is no longer permissible under government guidance (November 2013). The school has to warn parents that if you take unauthorised leave of absence then you will be liable to a fixed penalty fine issued on our behalf by the local authority.
Back to the top

Financial Help

Help is available for parents on certain benefits. You can get free school meals by registering with your local council. If you have been registered at any point in the last 6 years then you will be eligible for help with the cost of music tuition, trips and other extra curricular activities. Registering also helps the school get more funding. Some councils also provide help with travel costs, music instrument purchase and the cost of school uniforms.

You can find out how to register with local councils in the area by clicking on the links below:

Back to the top

ARC (Additionally Resourced Centre)

For ARC at William Perkin CofE High School, students must have an EHC in place. This needs to be for ASD and another need.

As inclusion in the mainstream school is part of the package they must be able to be included in the mainstream for 50% of their day. They should be able to access a secondary curriculum and only have mild learning difficulties. As many students have mental health or anxiety needs, children with severely challenging behaviour cannot be accommodated.

Full details can be found in the SEN Report here.

Back to the top

Latest news