William Perkin CofE High School is a Science college. Consequently, Science is at the heart of students’ studies.
Throughout the Science courses delivered at William Perkin CofE High School, students learn the following key concepts which underpin the study of the subject and how science works:
- Using scientific ideas and models to explain phenomena and developing them creatively to generate and test theories.
- Critically analysing and evaluating evidence from observations and experiments.
- Examining the ethical and moral implications of using and applying science.
The Year 7 course is divided into several broad modules:
- Biology: Organs and Healthy living, Reproduction, Ecology
- Chemistry: Matter, Geology, Acids and bases
- Physics: Energy and Forces, Space, Light & Sound
The Year 8 course is divided into several broad modules:
- Microbiology, Genetics, Organic energy
- Periodic table, Chemical reactions, Energy resources
- Electricity and magnetism, Heating and cooling, motion
Students begin their GCSE studies in Year 9:
- The highest achieving students study triple science (3 GCSEs)
- Most students study double science (2 GCSEs)
The curriculum has been designed to teach students about Science in the real world and includes a strong emphasis on practical and experimental skills.
Students sit a test each term. These are designed to secure students’ knowledge and prepare them for the revision and exam skills that will become vital throughout their schooling. Students are also carefully monitored regularly through prep tasks, longer homework tasks and informal assessment opportunities.
It will be expected that students complete a short (15mins) prep task following each science lesson. This is designed to both secure knowledge from that lesson and prepare them for their next lesson. They will also complete one longer homework task (1hr) each half term.
Students are encouraged to extend their learning by making the most of a number of extra-curricular activities in Science. Science club, various science electives, trips, competitions and a variety of other activities go on throughout the school.